Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I'm going to Fashion Week, because I never made it to Mardi Gras


Oscar De La Renta Spring 2006 - 9/12/05



10 talented female graduates of the Academy of Art University (San Francisco) debuted their designs to the NY Fashion crowd. 9/11/05

I decided to cover Spring 2006 Fashion Week this year. Trust me, it took courage. For the past five years, I would scurry pass Bryant Park lest some fashionnista out me as a fashion mess or a fatty. This year with all the deceit, cruelty and mayhem in the world I decided to seek out Fashion Week. To embrace a world where the words beauty and order are used as mantras. Of course, there is drama at Fashion Week. Sure there's egoism, greed, envy, but its light stuff in the scheme of things. Sure, there are long lines to get into shows, where I had to stand, but I was happy to be in the house. I was grateful to photograph the beautiful clothes, the smiling beautiful people, to see the artistry of the designers and their teams, to be a part of the one time spectacle that is the Spring Fashion 2006 show. I thought of those folks standing on lines in other parts of the country to get food, housing, (used) clothing. And I thought about that saying, there but for the Grace of God, Go I. And I realized that it should not be said smugly, but with acknowledgement, that one day it really could be me. So while beauty is available to be appreciated, I plan to appreciate it. I always thought I'd have time to go to New Orleans and see Mardi Gras. So whatever it is you plan to do - go for it. Because tomorrow is not promised. Even though I have it from a good source, Spring 2006 is going to be beautiful.
P.S. I wish wars could be fought by a walk-off on the catwalks (like in the movie Zoolander)!

These two handsome gentlemen caught my eye at the Academy of Art University Show - 9/11/05

No comments: