Wednesday, August 31, 2005

RESPONSE TO BKLYN GIRL - SLAVERY AND REDEMPTION IN SUDAN

roundthewaygirl said...
Hey Girl Blue,I am from Brooklyn also, and love cosmos, too. Are you my cousin?I was so happy to see your blog and to see you cover events such important films and documentaries.I saw Moon over Sudan as well, I thought it was a great documentary, yes it had technical difficulties, but overall it was powerful. As you detailed in your post this documentary uncovers that there is more to the crisis in Sudan than the slavery issue.At one point Rev. Sharpton and Eddie Harris Jr. said they were interested in doing outreach with the film to get the documentary to the community. I thought that was a great idea. He also said that Black Americans with tremendous resources are doing nothing to help out many of the unfortunate voiceless people in the world. I decided to put wishing and hoping someone else would do something on hold. I am currently organizing a fundraiser for famine relief in Darfur. It could be in Brooklyn or Manhattan - venue is still not confirmed. It will be cocktails and finger foods with profits going toward the cause. If you have any interest in helping out or attending, please let me know.In the meantime, I want to mention two things you can do to help suffering people right now.Go to the www.hungersite.com and click on the link to provide free food for people in need. You can also buy fair trade items. Right now at the Metropolitan Pavilion in Chelsea, NYC (123 w. 18th Street) is a free photographic exhibition by a young man who spent a year on a Mercy Ship. The exhibition will be up until September 8. Mercy Ships travel the world providing free surgery to poor people. Go to the website for information www.onamercyship.com.Thank you and Bless Your Heart (as my mamma used to say) for caring.
http://lilgirlblue.blogspot.com/2005/08/slavery-and-redemption-in-sudan.html
8:16 AM

No comments: